Dienstag, 16. November 2010

Some yummy purple fishies....

While I was organizing pics I thought that it could be helpful to add another review here as well. I wrote it for some baby wearing friends a couple days ago…. so sorry if this post will be too specific…. wrap geekery at it’s best…. ;o)

Last week I got my first wrap in a Baby-Alpaca blend and this time I was sure that this one is a keeper. It is purple, it is soft, it has a nice substantial feeling…. and it has some cute fishies on it that our kids love….

I’m talking about Elburg Alpaca Fishies.
45% alpaca wool, 55% cotton
The purple threads are cotton, the natural ones baby alpaca and the size 6 weights around 760gr.
New for a fish Didy is that there are significantly more of them on a wrap and they are spread out. There is still one little fish swimming in the opposite direction, but it is not longer on top of the wrap ( if that makes sense ).
I would describe it as a semi thick wrap with a decent amount of stretch. The stretch is similar to Pamir if you can try to compare a wool wrap with a cotton wrap at all, but it really reminds me of an EC Pamir when it comes to the wrapping qualities.
It feels and wraps a bit thicker than it actually is and has a good amount of cush.
Freshly washed I felt like I was standing in the middle of a goat farm, but when dry the wrap doesn’t smell different than other wool wraps.
After the bath it is still 70,5cm wide so not narrow at all….
The structure of the alpaca fibre is different from sheep wool. Alpacas have no lanolin and therefore it doesn’t make sense to use detergent with lanolin.
When you open the box the wrap feels a bit scratchy in the first place and even after the first bath you wonder if this wrap will get super soft. I ironed it when still wet and hung dry and that helped a lot to soften the wrap.
 



 
In the pics you can see how fuzzy the alpaca threads are. When you close your eyes this wrap seriously feels like a super yummy wool sweater – especially on the “wrong” side ( and I love the look of this side as well ).

Due to the long alpaca fibres this wrap feels like a wool wrap, but shimmers like a linen blend. Love this!

The purple cotton threads are ( almost ) identical with the Viola Indio. The also purple Amethyst Lilies have a tiny little bit more blue in it. But that comes also due to the fact that there is more contrast in the lilies. The alpaca wool threads have a creamy natural colour, not a bright white you can find in the Amethyst Lilies.

I have made a few comparison pics with Indio Viola ( all cotton ),Amethyst Lilies ( ramie-silk-cotton-blend ), Ellipsen Viola ( all cotton ) and Indio lila-royal v2 ( linen blend ).




 

This is a perfect fall and winter wrap. It is warm and yummy and the colour is gorgeous IMO. It wraps almost itself and is very supportive even with a heavier baby and toddler.
While I like the ramie lilies for a smaller baby in summer I would choose this in a heartbeat if I had to decide between those two.
This wrap absolutely qualifies as one of my favourite fall and winter wraps right now. Love the amount of cush, love the width, love that it offers a lot of support without being too bulky and could pet it for hours….





Perhaps I can add some thoughts after I had the chance for more test runs but for now that’s it….

3 Kommentare:

  1. Would you mind taking some picc of the fishies next to another fish wrap, so we can see the size difference? Thank you so much for the review! I was thinking I would pass on these, but they sound really amazing! Maybe I can get one for Christmas. :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. What detergent or wool wash do you suggest? I'm always told Eucalan, but that has lanolin in it... Thanks!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi, what detergent did you use?

    Thanks

    AntwortenLöschen